Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 5 Win2k Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyA

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2001
US
Hey,
Im running windows 2000 server. I have 3 HD in this machine each 80 gigs apiece. All the disks are dynamic. and on disk 0 there is an 8meg unallocated space. I want to make this bigger. Ive tried Partition Magic, and a couple other applications to partition this "Disk 0" so that i can make the 8meg unallocated space larger because i want the RAID volume larger. If anyone has any advice on how to get this accomplished please let me know. Thanks in advance.
I.E. Any applications that will allow me to make changes to the HD that work with server, besides Volume Manager. I tried the demo to see if it would do what i wanted. and it can not read the drive it gives me errors. Please HELP!

Mike

This just doesnt make sense.

All 3 Volumes in a RAID 5 configuration need to be the same size.
The 8mb unallocated space on Disk 0 can not be used.

just wipe everything out and re-install it

perhaps this is a brand name server ?
some brand name server uses a disk space for their custom apps for diag and so on
but 8MB is too small for that anyway

doesn't really make sense to me either, wiping out the entire disk will definitely help to get rid off it
or just ignore it

Before a disk can be upgraded to dynamic the disk must have 8 meg unallocated space. The disk is using that space therefore you cannot access it. If you want your Raid 5 larger, add another disk to the array.

MikeyA

i found why you have the 8MB of unaccessable space
it is the way windows calculate the table

just ignore it

Hung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back