Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 5 rebuilt with smaller drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2004
US
I have a Dell 745N box running a web proxy. One drive failed, and I was given a drive from a like server as a replacement. After it was installed and rebuilt, I discovered that it was a 120 GB instead of a 160 GB. The rebuilt server is still complaining about being degraded, and in array manager the data group shows only 3 drives and the OS group shows 4. In the OS group, however, it has only incorporated a few GB, and lists the rest as unallocated.

I have a new drive that is the appropriate size now, but I am concerned about being able to restore the array to its original configuration. Will it rebuild correctly? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Perhaps you should post this in the general NAS forum or Dell Server forum. The last I knew, Dell was not a subsidary of Network Appliance Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back