Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 5 Rebuild Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHERHEAD

Technical User
Sep 10, 2007
US
I am a novice admin, and have inherated a Power Edge 2650 with a PERC 3/Di Controller
I have just replaced a hot swappable with same size\MFG HD after rebooting I got a message PERC3/Di Controller 0, Virtual Disk (virtual Disk1) rebuild failed..

What could be the problem\s

If the disk was purchased as a refurb or recert, likely the disk failed in someone else's raid, then you purchased it. Only buy new drives for raid. Recert or refurb testing is not sufficient for raid drives

Same size? if the replacement drive has a capacity of even .1 gig less then the present drives it will not work, verify the exact size.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

This was a new drive and it is slightly larger.
The size of the 4 discs are 33.92 Gig Brand New(not refurbished) size is 34.43 Gig.
Would this make a difference?
I replaced the new disc with another New disc and same results.

I've had that happen before. Usually all it takes is to go into the Array manager utility and set the new drive as a Global hot spare. It should kick off the rebuild inside of 30 seconds or so.

This should have worked...

Is the firmware on the raid card at the newest level?

"The size of the 4 discs are 33.92 Gig Brand New(not refurbished) size is 34.43 Gig."
This should not be an issue.

If the replacement disk is the EXACT make and model as the original array set, and the replacement disk has the same firmware revision, and the raid card firmware is up to date....
Possible (most likely) a second disk in the array has errors, which is not being failed by the adapter, is causing the rebuild to fail. Have you run the Dell diags, also have you run a consistency check previously. It is VERY difficult to find such a drive, standard SCSI disk testing software( with each array disk connected to a standard SCSI adapter, often passes array disks which fail on a raid adapter). If another disk in the array has "offlined" previously, this is the likely culprit.

Rarely, a different model disk is not compatible with original array disks, but this is very rare

Backup

I'm having a similar issue. I have a Dell PE 2650 with a PERC 3/DI controller. My RAID 5 is showing a failed drive. I picked up an Ultra 320 drive of the same brand/size. This controller is an Ultra160, I should be able to use this drive shouldn't I?

What issues should I watch out for?

As before, U320 will plug & play with previous generations of technology for one of the industry's strongest investment protection stories. When mixing ULtra320 and Ultra3 or Ultra2 drives, the drives in the box will operate at the lowest common denominator of the controller or the backplane.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back