Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 5 one hard drive failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sport404

MIS
Dec 27, 2004
US
Hey guys,
Have 3 hard drives in a raid 5 config failed. I have an extra drive which has data on it from another system. Do I just pop the drive in and it knows what to do, or do I need to format the replacement drive first?

Thanks

At the moment, you should have one disk with the red light on (the other two should be green). All you should need to do is pop out the failed drive and put the replacement drive back in. The server should then power up and activate the new disk, restriping the data back onto the replacement disk automatically. There is no need to prepare the replacement disk. The restriping process is completed when the lights on the replacement disk return to normal.

The replacement disk should be an exact match for the failed disk however (in size and speed).

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

On the more recent Prolients (about the last 3 years) the drive can be bigger, but it's not recomended as a long term fix unless your going to replace all the drives in the group with bigger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back