Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 5 failure- advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdam

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2005
CA
Hey guys.

A client I recently inherited has suffered a failure on their raid array. they have 5 disks, 3 raid5 array and 2 more as pooled standby drives that are supposed to swap automatically if one of the live drives fails. This didn't happen when one of the drives in the array failed.

One of my techs replaced the dead drive and everything worked fine for about 3 days. Then 2 drives in the array failed at the same time. I wasn't too concerned about the failure because I knew they had pretty good backups. OOPS. Whoever configured the backups forgot or missed the SQL server instance holding all critical company data for the past 12 years. NOOOOOOO.

Anyway, long story short. We sent the drives off to be recovered and will be getting the data back tomorrow (76 hour turn-around).

Here's my question before i get them all new drives and rebuild the array.

What could have caused this? I admit the machine was really really dirty inside and had recently been relocated. The Adapter is a Adaptec 39160/2960D. The drives were Seacate Cheetah 76G 80 pin monsters.

Second question. I have used File Scavanger in the past to recover data off of dead arrays. Is there a software product available for recovering raid5 that goes down to 1 heathly disk (out of three)? And if there is... How do I get a copy?

Thanks for your time.

I don't think that the 39160 line are raid controllers. I don't recommend using an operating system's software raid functions on a mission critical system. You shou be able to retrieve some data with tools like this, but I don't think that there will be any guarantees about how much you'll be able to retrieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back