Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 5 Expansion on Compaq\HP ML370

Status
Not open for further replies.

spi200

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2002
AU
Hi all

I need some help with this one.
We decided to expand our Raid 5 on an ML370 and replace our 9.1Gb Ultra2 10K SCSI drives with 36.4Gb U320 15K SCSI Drives. I have replaced One drive at a time allowing to rebuild etc, but after the 2nd drive was added the Server abended overnight. Server had been very reliable and the only change has been to our disk config. Maybe the drives are having trouble with 4*10K & 2*15K drives or the Ultra2\Ultra3 combination in the array. Once the larger drives were in I was going to run CPQONLIN to expand the DATA volume. Any thoughts ? Is this allowed and will it work or am I on thin ice.
Any help would be much appreciated while I await my next abend.

Regards

David Dundas
System Administrator

What make an model drives are the original drives, new drives?

Hi

I got onto HP and they confirmed it was OK to swap these drives in.

Thanks

David

Whats the version of the firmeware on the Raid controller, would be worth updating this to the latest release as you are using U320 36Gb drives

Hi

Not sure what the firmware version is and it may be this that got me in trouble. Seems to be working fine now after the Server has been rebuilt.

Thanks

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back