Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

raid 5 and raid 0 how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

picnmix

Technical User
Apr 8, 2005
GB
Hi I have come across a server that has an array configuration as follows
physcial disks = 3 * 300GB
logical disks = 2
286GB in a RAID 0 Configuration (Logical Disk 1)
381GB in a RAID 5 Configuration (Logical Disk 2)

My question is how has they done this? There isn't any unused space of the array. So how have they created a one disk as raid 0 and left two disks to create a raid 5. Which I understand is impossible.
Or an I looking at this the wrong way.

Logical is the key word not physical. I have seen something simular on a HP NAS setup where for some reason the first couple of GB(s) of two drives were used for one RAID array and the remainder of the drive space on the drives along with other unused drives were out into another array set (or something like that).

Seen the same on a number of servers, created by unknowledgeable techs. Basically this accomlishes nothing but place both arrays in a dangerous situation, as the failure of one disk kills both "arrays" due to the raid 0.
If you have been in the bios of a hardware adapter, when creating an array on most adapters, you acually have the choice of using the entire size of the array set drives or changing it. If you do not use the entire capacity, you can create another array out of the remaining space.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back