Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 5 and Norton Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHiorns

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
GB
We have a Compaq ProLiant 8500 with a RA4100.
On the local drives using RAID1 and on the RA4100 using RAID5.

Has anyone used Norton Ghost, and do you know where I can go for more information (have already read that not supported officially, but does seem to support hardware RAID).

I am in need of the same solution. This reply will not solve your issue, but I will share my research. In order for Ghost to "see" the volumes, the raid array must be accessable from DOS (ghost runs via DOS). So this means that we need a DOS boot disk that will load the raid drivers. You can find the raid drivers on one of the CD's that came with the server or you can do a search on HP's website for "dos raid drivers". The next thing we need to do is to copy the .sys file for the drivers to a dos boot floppy. Then we need to edit the config.sys file to load the drivers on boot up. The issue I am having is modifying the dos boot disk to load the raid drivers (The server has to be up 24/7, so I have no chance to test my floppies). I might be missing some part of the puzzle (such as, the server might already have a small dos boot partition that already loads the raid. Or, compaq's need another subprogram to access the volumes after the drives are loaded). I am about to call compaq and see if they can shead any light onto the situation. Please let me know if you make any headway

We have a compaq proliant (don't remember the model #) with Raid 5. It has NT4 sp 5. Can we run defragmenter on it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back