Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 5 and Hot spare issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all,
Ive searched around and read some helpful posts but am still curious if my ordeal is going to be a difficult one. First things first, the hardware:
Systemax 5500 2U SAS Server w/
3 147GB Seagate SAS Raid5 PN:ST3146356SS
12GB RAM
Adaptec 3805 Raid Controller
Server 08

Right now as it sits, there are no backups or hot spare set up. Was looking at ShadowProtect4 server or Acronis for that but that's another post all together. After I get the backups running I want to setup a Hot Spare but I have this problem:
The HDDs installed are discontinued from the manufacturer, as are the Fujitsus of same size in our other server running Raid 1. We have a corporate account set up with Tigerdirect and they recommended we go with the new 300GB ones from Seagate. Ive been told that you have to use similar size drives or issues will occur. I can purchase the original seagates listed above from some other random google searched companies but not sure if i should just upgrade to the 300GBs for extra storage space anyway.
If i was just installing a Global Hot Spare of the same size, all I would have to do is physically install it and use ASM to tell it that it is a spare, correct?
I read a few of SPI200(or similar usr name) posts and he claims that you can install a bigger drive regardless of raid setup and it will rebuild as the original sized partition. Then you could extend the volume and receive the increased GBs from the bigger drive. Wondering if that's correct or is there something I'm missing.
Ideally I would like to, if possible, set a 300GB as a Global Hot Spare and when a drive does fail, after that 300 is rebuilt into the array, upgrade the other 2 drives to 300s and resize the volume to accommodate the growing needs of our server.
Please let me know if any or all of the info listed is correct or should I just buy like 20 of the 147GBs while I still can and hope our server space requirements dont grow too fast??
Thanks all

1. You can use a larger drive as a hot spare no problem. Similar size not required. You HAVE to match the interface type (obviously) but try to match the RPM and performance level to be at least as good as the older drives. Shouldn't be any issues as a hot spare. Your proposed procedure sounds correct for adding the larger hot spare, just read your controller documentation for EXACT steps.

2. Extending volumes to add onto the left over hard drive space: Can it be done? - Yes. It can be risky as things can just go totally south or they could go fine. Roll the dice?!?

3. Don't buy 20 drives. The server will be long gone before you need that many as REPLACEMENT drives. Plan for the future, like a full rebuild with O.S. reload on new drives at some point maybe.

4. Remember, there is no rebuilding until a drive fails. When you add a hot spare, essentially NOTHING happens. The drive just sits there and waits. If you were to add it as a hot spare and then remove another drive, rebuilding would commence. Then you could do this again until all drives are the new ones. Then would come the risk of repartitioning if you chose to. Kind of scary, but it's been done. Would I recommend it on an important system with NO BACKUP - NOooooooooooooooo.

Thanks for the input. One last question: Do you know of any utility that will allow you to see exactly what Raid controller you have installed on a server? Just walked into this mess and no Raid utility was ever installed on one of our XP servers.

If it's a real server, the model may have a standard controller which you can look up on the web site.

Better, look in Device Manager and see what it says and when it boots up there should be a little blurb about "Controller XYZ Press Fx to enter setup". If you enter into the RAID setup, you will likely get the brand/model.

Thanks guys,
No everything here is a half assed Systemax build. Nothing like jumping into a horrific setup especially when their financial system is on an unprotected Raid 0 config......... Thanks for the info and I was wanting to check without rebooting/powering down and the device mngr just says "Via Raid Controller" so not much help there. I will try the pc wizard n see what it brings up otherwise I'll be digging through old invoices trying to find out who we purchased it from to ask them because this weekend is a holiday and I doubt they will wanna pay me that kinda cash. Ty again.

CPU-Z as mentioned will tell you a lot about the system as mentioned without powering down. You will be able to tell what mobo it is and likely it's just a built-onto-motherboard Via raid controller. You can then look up controller info via the motherboard PDF.

I think you've got a mess on your hands. And let me guess - when you tell the owners how bad things are or how much it will cost to straighten things out, they'll say "work with what you've got".

If they say that, send a lot of CYA emails and BCC: them to another one of your email accounts. You will be blamed for any failures even though you just inherited a mess. Start triage immediately for most important/most vulnerable systems.

I run my personal computer better than a lot of companies run their IT - for shame (on them).

Yea a storm could be a brewin'. Just told the owner I could salvage what was here for around $2-$3 grand and make it idiot prof. He told me he would "think" about it. Guess we will see what that brings. Its horrible to be handcuffed like this. This is the situations that lead to software piracy so one doesnt get fired for something he didnt do or would have done. Need to start a new thread on good linux boot cds to make .ISOs so I can do this legit....
P.S. Used the pc wizard app, very pleasantly surprised. Ive tried Everest before but it wasnt nearly as detailed as this, thanks again.

pc wizard app" - you mean CPU-Z?? I've never heard it referred to as that, but whatever. It be good stuff and free.

Yeah, you gotta stress to the powers that be:
1. Problem areas (hardware weaknesses, software weaknesses and bootlegs if any)
2. Start with the most important systems first.
3. Maybe have to settle for a level of less than idiot proof.
4. What if they don't spend $XYZ >>> risks

Are you thinking of replacing some of the windows servers with Linux? Systems and data are still at risk if RAID is not present and properly configured regardless of O.S. (sure you know that). Linux would just cut down on the software cost side of things.

Don't become a pirate. Better to dump out of the situation rather than get scapegoated because they won't give you any money.

Goom, PC-Wizard is from the makers of cpu-z, it does way more than cpu-z. Still free though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back