Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giro268

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
NL
Hi all,

I hope you can help me with this one.
I have 2 compaq DL360 G2 machines, with an internal 5i raid controller. Now, what I need to accomplish is this:
A developer will be working on 2 "workstations". 1 at the office and 1 at his home, configured with Mirroring (raid1).
When at home the mirroring will deliver the same environment on the 2 disks. The developer will take 1 disk out of the machine and doesn't need to worry about some event that will make the "travelling" HDD unusable. At the office the disk will be inserted in machine 2 and the developer can continue his work. So at both places he will be leaving a safe copy.

Q: will disk mirroring replicate only the changed data, or will it start a complete new mirroring a.i. it was a new disk?
Q: is there a better solution, or utility or?

Any comment is welcome.
Thanks in Advanced,
Emilio

Emilio,

Please be aware that disks do not normally have a high insertion number, that is they are not rated for repeated disk-pulls and re-insertions, its got something to do with the thickness of the plating on the connectors, something like 50 events max, and to be safe you need to keep it lower than that.
You should use something like a tape for this, and something reliable at that (no no dont use DAT !)

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back