Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAID 1 on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

dghundt

Programmer
Apr 28, 2006
US
Just purchased an ASUS p8z68-v pro motherboard.
I am preparing to install two hard drives in raid 1 configuration. I will use the motherboard built in raid capability.

The only question I cannot find is how will I know if one drive has failed and needs replacement?

I called ASUS and they said if one drive fails in raid 1, the operating system will stop working and I will have to look at led lights on the mobo to see which one failed.

I thought the whole point of raid 1 mirroring was not only preservation of my data, but also that the system continued to run since I still hard a working drive with all my data.

appreciate your help

I appreciate you bringing back my sanity.

I looked at the asus information previously and had not noticed much other than how to install the raid. The intel driver download links certainly could be useful.

My concern is monitoring the raid, if one drive goes down, clearly I need to know it, and have a simple means to restore it with a new drive.

I was considering purchasing a Adaptec RAID 6405 and nand as I see for certain there is monitoring software included. Their documentation regarding setup, monitoring looks good. They also advertise ability to email alerts with drive failures. Seems like a small investment for extra features that come with a discrete card.

I'm just working on a new PC with Intel RAID today. It has an Intel chip with RAID and it uses the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application to view the status of the RAID, make changes, manage and setup alerts, etc.

Just go with the built-in RAID if it's on your board - it has all the features you mentioned. You just have to get the download of Intel Rapid Storage Technology to go with your chipset and you will be able to get email alerts/alarms if there are any problems.

By the way: "The product name was changed from Intel® Matrix Storage Manager to Intel® Rapid Storage Technology beginning with version 9.5"

This should get you everything you need.

Extremely helpful! thank you.
I'll give it a go with my mobo raid and the Intel application since I just want raid 1 with two disks with basic managment & monitoring.

I've had an old Asus mobo circa 2002 with built-in RAID 1 and it's been running at my house since then. I've changed the drives over the years, but the RAID never let me down.

The RAID chips on newer PCs can only be better!!!

The RAID chips on newer PCs can only be better!!!
very optimistic there, Goom... ;-)

but the rest is sound advice... and yes, Intel Raid setups have been pretty reliable, anything for business use I would suggest a dedicated RAID card (usually hardware), for private use the onboard (software) RAID usually suffices and is economically better... :)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I was thinking of higher end boards - Intel, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte NOT Chaintech, ASRock, etc. But, as always, investigate the exact chipset on the board that handles the RAID.

thanks everyone.
I used the mobo raid mirror option.
installed the intel monitoring application.
I tested a failed drive. I was able to receive email notification and rebuilt a new drive fine. Highly recommend it.
The email notification feature does not send passwords (that means no gmail), so I had to use my internet provider Cox cable's smtp info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back