Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

* * * RAID 1+0 QUESTION - HELP! * * *

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToaDz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2003
AU
Hi,

I have a question regarding RAID 1 +0.

I have a Compaq ProLiant server with 6 SCSI Hot swappable hard drive bays. The setup of the drives is as follows:

Array A (Logical Drive 1)
- 18.2GB Port 2, ID 0
- 18.2GB Port 2, ID 1

Array 2 (Logical Drive 2)
- 18.2GB Port 2, ID 2
- 18.2GB Port 2, ID 3

Array 3 (Logical Drive 3)
- 36.4GB Port 2, ID 4

I understand that RAID 1 +0 combines the methods of mirroring and striping to provide performance and redundancy.

Logical Drive 1, which is Array A contains the 'C: drive', which Disk Management in Windows says.

1. If the contents of C: is on 18.2GB Port 2 ID 0, the mirror of this would be on ID1 - Is this correct?

2. Say, if I formatted the drive, would this also delete the contents from the mirror?

3. If I reinstalled Windows would this AUTOMATICALLY mirror or would something need to be configured via software (compaq Array Manager for example)?

Sorry, I am new to all this, so I hope this info makes sense.

Hope someone can provide detailed information.

Thanks!

If you read the information in the following link:

you'll see that your question 1 can't be answered with just the information you provided, and to quote "The result of all this confusion is that you must investigate to determine what exactly a company is implementing when you look at multiple RAID. Don't trust the label."

In other words, is Array A a mirror set striped across Array B, or is it a stripe set mirrored by Array B?

Your Array Management software, either in BIOS or as an OS add-on should help in determining the exact configuration.

Question 2: Yes formatting will delete the contents of the mirror drive.

Question 3: You will have to supply drivers to Windows during the first (non-GUI) part of the install. You'll see a prompt to "Press F6 to install third-party drivers". Have a diskette containing your RAID drivers ready prior to the reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back