Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raid 0 / Reinstalling Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodomontade

Technical User
Sep 1, 2005
US
Hello, I have a noob question. (sorry)

I have installed two Seagate 160GB drives and set them up as Raid-0. (They are working fine)

I also have my OS (Win XP SP2) installed on its own dedicated (NON RAID) IDE drive.

I used the Raid array for storage only.

My question is this :

If I do a full format of my OS Drive and a clean install of Win XP will the Raid Drive show up automatically and most importantly, Will the data stored on my Raid Array be safe and intact?

Anything special I should do or NOT do during a fresh install of XP? Just don't want to loose a ton of data.

Thank you in advance

You have to start up the install cd, then hit f6 once it ask if you want to install other drivers. A bit further it will ask you to press S to install the extra drivers. The drivers have to be on a floppy disk. After that it will do a normal install. Without the drivers you will not be able to see your sata/raid drives. I am using here two IDE raid 1 drives as backup, two sata raid 0 drives for the op system another two sata raid 0 drives "intel" for programs and two normal IDE drives for other op systems. Plus two DVD burners. All work happily together. Also all are supported by the mobo no extra cards needed. You will not loose your programms on the raid drives. Win install will not erase anything.
Regards

Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back