Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radius server suggestions for wireless auth

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshendrix

MIS
Mar 5, 2002
I'm looking for Radius server to do wireless authentication.

We have Cisco Aironet 1100 Access Points & currently are
using two APs for radius server purposes but are running up
against the limit of 50 users (MAC addresses).

Any advice on what others are using for similar setups would be appreciated.

Thanks.

We use the Radius Server that comes with Windows 2000 Server.

Dan

Thanks dput.

Is the W2K server that you are using in a domain or workgroup?

Do you use MAC address filtering in your setup?

Thank you.

Also, is there a limit on the number of users that can be setup in the Windows Radius server? I believe I read something somewhere that mentioned the 50 limit just like the Aironet 1100 APs have.

We are using active directory with a domaain. I am not aware of any limits. Your setup occurs on the AD, not Windows Radius Server for the authorizations, so I can't imagine there being a limit.

Dan

We are about to setup a wirless network. Only about 5 people will need access to it. We have windows server 2003 small biz addition. Should I setup a RADIUS server or just setup an access point using WPA-PSK? It would be nice if it was controlled through Active directory. Is it hard to setup and is there an AP you could recommend?

Thanks,
Kurt

It's only easy when you know how.

I believe that 802.1x authentication and WPA-PSK are both needed. WPA provides the encryption of the data and 802.1x provides authentication services. We use both.

Dan

dput

Do you have a high level overview of your 802.1x authentication setup?

Basically, we installed the Radius Server on our Windows Server, Configured a Radius session, and then set the WAP to match. The biggest issue I had was the MAC Format on the WAP had to be set to Multi-dash format.

Dan

Multidash? xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx? (using dashes?)

What WAP Device do you have?

Joshua

Setting up Internet Authentication Server was EXTREMELY easy.
Its pretty straight forward and alot of it is wizard driven.

Joshua

Joshua is right. I found it very simple. Almost too easy, I was concerned if I missed something, but it works great.

Dan

You need to :

Set up the router / AP for RADIUS mode. Enter the IP of your IAS server. Make sure their "Shared Key" match.

Choose the appropriate authentication type (certificate, etc), and you shoudl be ready to go.

Joshua

Every AP manufacturer will be different, so you will probably need to read the manual.

Dan

We have server 2003 small biz edition. we have not installed service pack 1 yet. Is this a problem? I would like the network to use WPA or WPA2.

Thanks,
Kurt

I am still on Windows 2000, so I really can't answer whether SP1 is needed or not. My guess is that you will be fine without it. The WPA and WPA2 is established between your Wireless Access Points and your Wireless devices. It will have nothing to do with your server. Your AP's will communicate with your Radius Server to authenticate the users.

Dan

I don't understand this article when it says:
Without SP1 on Windows Server 2003, the WPA security method isn’t supported and therefore cannot be implemented – which is no longer an issue with Service Pack 1.

Also, do you have to install Certificate Authority and issue certificates?

Thanks,
Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back