Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radius and switches..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeighH

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with Radius that I can't seem to find answers for.

What I've got:
several 450' and 470's in stacks and stand-alones

several 8600's

several centillions

What I need:
At the moment, they all have passwords on the boxes. I want them all to look at a Radius server for password authentication, but I'm struggling to get information on how to do it.

I need to know what version of Radius (if it's a special one) I need to run on the server and how I would go about setting it up on one of the switches.

Also, what would happen if the box no longer had visibility of the server? Would it kick me out for good, or would it default to something?

Cheers all,
Leigh H

We are running Cisco Access Control Server using TACACS+ for our routers and RADIUS for our switches.

There are plenty of RADIUS authentication software packages out there, some free and some not. Make sure the one you choose has support for Nortel switches. Nortel has vendor specific attributes which allow authentication.

Answering your last question, if the switch cannot see the RADIUS server, it defaults to the passwords set in it's config file. We made sure to test that (by unplugging the RADIUS server) so we could get into the box in any situation.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back