Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon HD 5850 wont boot but works on other comp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcthe2nd

Technical User
Dec 19, 2010
AU
ok i have two comps first one a quad 775 q9300 mobo is a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 with 4 gig ddr2 800mhz and thermaltake toughpower 750 W power supply

the second computer is a core 2 duo 775 E7500 mobo is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 with 4 gig ddr2 1066 Mhz thermaltake toughpower 750 W power supply

the problem is that the HD 5850 works on the 2nd computer but not on the first but the other graphics card from the second computer witch is a gforce GTX 275 works on both computers.

now i wont the HD 5850 to work on the first computer

they both have some power supply's so its not that um have unplug every thing eg drives and other cards except graphics still no result

the first computer just powers on and off then on and off repetitively with the HD 5850 graphics card in it and doesent even beeb but works fine with GTX 275

have you tried the ATI card in BOTH slots on the first PC?

the on off pattern, may be a power issue or a fan-spin detection issue, hard to tell since it seems to work with the other gfx.card...

you may just have to live with the fact that that card just will not work in that PC...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

yes have tried in both slots have put it down to a power issue i think cause the first comp is a quad its using more power

If you really think its a power issue, swap the PSU's from the working one to the non working one, and see if it works then.

If the card works now where it did not before, then you can safely assume the other PSU is having difficulty powering the card.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

I would agree with Vacunita, in that perhaps one of the PSU's may have a flaky rail and thus have an issue in powering the card...

I have seen cards that would work perfect in nine mainboards, but behave strangely in the tenth...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I seriously doubt a PSU is the problem unless it is really sick.

The active idle power consumption for your graphics cards:

GTX 275 = 177w
HD 5850 = 145W

But at that early stage of boot, the card won't be doing more than providing basic text output and using very little power. But I'd still swap the PSUs to eliminate them from the equation.

At what stage in the boot process is it restarting - during POST, whilst BIOS is checking hardware, before after the Windows is Starting display?

Regards: Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back