Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon 7000 and win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

dietch

MIS
Oct 8, 2008
PH
I recently upgraded my video card from the ATI XPERT 98 to the Radeon 7000. I have a dual boot running win 98 and win2k. Installation went fine on win 98. Then I got to windows 2000... I installed the drivers from the easy installer on the cd. Everything seemed to go without a hitch, I restarted when it asked. After it had gone through the windows startup screen my screen went black. I restarted in safe mode and checked the drivers. Seems it didn't install the right ones. Says something about VR100. The driver of course says its not working properly. I downloaded the latest drivers for the card from the ATI site. Says it isn't compatible with my old display drivers so I cannot install those. When I unistall the RV100 drivers and try to install an ATI driver it says I should try installing a default driver first. I have tried everything including reinstalling win2k. Your help is much appreciated... Thanks - Dietch

Hi Dietch
As you have both win9x and WinNT OSes , then you are well aware that they are 2 deferent beasts.
In Win8x, just taking the old card, putting the new one in and loading the drivers works perfectly.
In NT based OSes, the old video card and its drivers must be uninstalled first (Add/Remove Hardware Wizard, Uninstall/unplug a device, Uninstall a device then select the device that needs to be uninstalled).
Try putting the old card back in. uninstall it first in your W2k environment only and then add your new video card.
Good luck

Also check for conflicts on the Microsoft website between the card and the os's your running.

You will have to do more than just a regular Uninstall programs to kill the ATI drivers under W2K. There are a large selection of tools out there to clean up ATI's notoriously deep rooted drivers from the registry and in system32 as well. Good Luck. i had a Radeon 8500 and tried for days to make it work with stock drivers, hacked drivers, etc. and i finally sold it on ebay and bought an nvidia card with the money. ATI may have great technology, but their driver writing team is bad. I know NT and W2K inside and out and manage a helpdesk for both as my work, but i couldn't get it going. On the other hand, Nvidia drivers are a breeze and extremely user friendly. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input guys... In my attempt to get rid of the old ATI drivers I ended up reinstalling win2k. STILL didn't work. I like this card in win98. It has DDR instead of SDR... I really notice a difference. But all my programming tools are on win2k so I've got to get it to work. Whats a GeForce equivalent to the Radeon 7000 32mb DDR card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back