Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAD password

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumSFC

MIS
May 28, 2003
AU
Right guys, i have posted this question a couple of times now but havent had much luck. So i shall ask once more....... i have a RAD connected to a cics at the last extension and have assigned a line to appear on that port and have programmed under sys programming the rad to pick up after 2 rings.

Now my problem is that when i try to go in by typing 9** and it asks me for a password i dont know it. so i tried to reset it by using the information in the FAQS but it still doesn't take the Sys Id as a Password or RADMIN which someone told me to try.
So eventualy i tried going in any way to see what happened....so i dialed up using NRU9 without a password and it connected but then booted me out on the password.

I'm Lost!!!

Can anyone help?

is it a new RAD or a existing RAD u took from another system ?

If I said it, It has to be true.
Mario Mazza

The only time that you use the system ID is when you are using the IRAD on a CICS. It defaults to that until you change it.

If it is an older external RAD, the password for getting in to administer the RAD is RADMIN or 723646

BUT
Since yours is asking for a password when you do the F 9**, it must be the newer Fast RAD.

If you ran the DEBUGER on it, it should have opened it up so that you don't neet a password to get into F9**.

BUT, you must now go into the RAD and assign a password of your choice before it will allow you to connect with it.

When you do the F9**, one of the softkeys (left one) will say password over it. Hit the softkey and enter any password that you want. It will prompt you to confirm the password.

Kind of hard to explain from the keyboard.

MarvO said it

If you are fishing for passwords try the following: the ORIGINAL 10 digit phone number for the customer, a telco contract number, the spelled name of the original installers company ie ameritech (263748324).

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Thanks for the response guys.

It's an old RAD that i took from another system, but yeah it does say password when i type F9** and i have followed the debugger. I'm a bit confused....it just wont let me in.

I tried RADMIN as a password, but no luck. And this is an external RAD (ERAD) but i tried the sys ID any way and that didnt work. I was also told that if you go into maintenance and show the port its connected to then select device it gives you the option of showing the version number. Now, apparently there is a sneaky way of transfering that number by taking away the 0's or something to come up with the password......but yes you guessed it...it didn't work!
Please remember i am English so there may be slight differences?

If anyone can work this one out then, god bless you! Because it beats me!!!

check out these three links on this site:

faq799-3013
faq799-1997
thread799-491824

the shorting of the battery is considered the last choice. from other people apparently the debug proceedures work though.

JerryReeve
com-sys.com

Which debugger did you use.
Post the steps and I will try it on a lab system.

What is the size of the RAD?
About 10 inches wide, or 6 inches wide?
Oops, about 25 cm wide, or 15 cm wide?

MarvO said it

Well it's about 6 inches wide.....and the steps i used are as follows:
How to debug a RAD
faq799-1997
use a M7310
change date to April 15,1999
F9**hit left display key 5 times
hit center display key 6 times
hit right display key 8
timespress HOLD
press digit 2
press digit 1
press release/RAD now at reset date

Now, i got the prompts so it was obviously doing something but i didnt quite get what i was told i should do i.e new password setup.

What a challenge ha!

Thanks again for your response guys this is great!

Jerry, you said the shorting of the battery is the last choice.......why? is there many bad consequences?

norstartecky
mainly because I am hesitent about opening up an item and then sticking bare wires inside of it[poke], if I can get the same result via software I will go for that instead.

JerryReeve
com-sys.com

Yeah sure, thats understandable mate! Ok, well i'll try it as a last resort. But i'm getting really desperate for this now!!

You see i've been fighting this one for about 3 months!

Yes, there are other consequences. If you do not use a resistor to bleed down the cap, you can seriously shorten the hold time on the cap. Even with a resistor, you are taking chances. People say that they have done it many times, but there are getting to be a lot of RADs out there that have to be be set up over and over again when they lose power. I learned the hard way.

MarvO said it

Ok norstartecky, you said that you got the degugger prompts, so it probably ran. You were using one of the procedures that seems to always work for me.

Next, do a F9**
You should see in your window:

Password
EXIT CHNG NEXT

Hit the CHNG softkey

Type in 123456789, or some other number that you love.
PRESS the OK softkey.

The screen will say: Confirm password

Type in the exact same number again and press OK

It will say PASSWORD CHANGED.

Now, anytime that you need to get into the RAD, use your same favorite password. Now, you can change your password anytime that you want to. Some people write the password on the back of the RAD if you don't have to be extremely secure.

MarvO said it

You can run an external RAD on a CICS, even if the IRAD is enabled. Different feature code to activate. I've never seen a problem with having both. Famous Last Words.

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back