Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rack Setup Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowitzer

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
SG
Hi,

Does anyone know of any best practice when deploying servers, UPS, KVM, etc in a rack.

Is it recommended to seperate production servers from development/staging servers, by putting them in a different rack?

Appreciate the help in pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Unless you have more than enough servers to fill up two racks, I don't see why you need the physical separation (unless you are letting developers/apps folks physically access the servers which is a no no).

I agree with itsp1965. You have done the right thing in having separate servers for your Production and Development systems but hosting the servers physically in the same rack should not cause you any issues.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Thanks for your replies.

We are doing system upgrade/consolidation and there is a spare rack.

From time to time, developer may need to do some testing on the development machine.

Well as far as i am concerned a developer does not require physical access to the server. They can either use;

Windows - Remote Desktop
Linux/Unix - SSH or XWindows

The only persons who need physical access are the server admin/operations folks

If a developer needs to use a machine for testing, the physical rack location does not matter. Nor does the location of the server in a single rack. The machine could be in Timbuktu and the developer in Austin, Texas. The developer should not require physical access.

There are too many customers of mine who have made that mistake---they'd just unplug servers at will (usually the wrong ones...lol)...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back