Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rack mounting equipment alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenolith

ISP
Mar 4, 2002
This seemed to be the most appropriate forum I could find to ask my question. How do you tackle rack mounting equipment when you have to work alone? I was thinking of picking up some appropriate sized all-thread and start it in the rack at desired location, then slide the equipment on it. Ideally this would help hold it while I put screws in to really hold it. Anyone have any better suggestions or know of a product that already exists to do this?

A coworker seen an installer using this method once and seemed to work pretty well for him.

Only problem I can see is getting the appropriate sized and threaded allthread.

Depending on the weight of equipment you may need a 2nd person, but many ways to jury rig a way to temp support a piece of equipment. Straps, tie wraps, pull string as a sling or even the 1 arm curl man handle it with a magnetic tip screw driver

MIKE

I use a 19" rack shelf. Slide it on and screw it in.

Most equipment of any weight have open screw positions on the bottom so if you put two screws in the bottom h\positions on the rack you can support the equipment until you get the other screws in. Best bet is to get someone to help.

The answer is "42"

I have used 2 extra screws in the holes right below the equipment. Put them almost all the way in and then set you equipment on them. THis will hold them close to where you need them and keep the equipment flat on the rack rails. Then if you have to move it up a little then the other side will hold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back