Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rack mounted powerstrip 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTSMAN

Technical User
Mar 24, 2003
US
We orderd a rack mountable power strip today. Here is a pic of one.
Does there need to be a space between these and the network switches? Can it be sandwiched between two switches without issue? Should it be mounted at the top of the rack to breath?

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

We have a similar one (a Tripp-Lite) and we did not leave a space. No problems.

If you mount in the top or bottom of the rack you may have some power cords that are to short, I use the middle of the rack with one rack unit space above and below so I can place a wire management bars on the front and on the back side of the rack to tie the cords to.

Three problems with this part.

1. Around $10 per outlet!

2. Most UPS manufacturers don't recommend using surge suppressors on either side of their unit.

3. Wastes rack space. It is usually easier to mount the power strip at the back of the rack which makes power cord management easier.

Here is one I like at around $4 per outlet:

DISMAN, you are on the right track. Be carefull not to use surge suppression with a UPS it voids the warrenty. And do not use a UPS in data center racks. Only use the main UPS for the center. Also surge suppression is not needs with TVSS or K rated transformers.

Remember you get what you pay for the vertical strip looks very cheap.

Some use a verticle power strip instead that fits on the back side of the rack so there is not 'rack'spaces being used.

What UPS manufacturers specifically mention excluding the use of surge suppression devices or that it voids warranty?

I have never read any such statement in UPS manufacturers' documentation or in the trades dealing with power quality issues. For one instance, no such statement is found in any documentation from APC.

There is nothing cheap about BROOKS power strips, they make a very good product! I have used several in my installations.

....JIM....

APC used to be VERY adamant about not using surge supressors on either side of their UPS units. They have softened a little. Here is the latest "company line":

**start quote*****

APC recommends against the use of any surge protector, power strip or extension cord being plugged into the output of any APC Back-UPS and Smart-UPS products. This document will explain why.

Plugging a surge protector into your UPS: Surge protectors filter the power for surges and offer EMI/RFI filtering but do not efficiently distribute the power, meaning that some equipment may be deprived of the necessary amperage it requires to run properly ? causing your attached equipment (computer, monitor, etc) to shutdown or reboot. If you need to supply additional receptacles on the output of your UPS, we recommend using Power Distribution Units (PDU's). PDUs evenly distribute the amperage among the outlets, while the UPS will filter the power and provide surge protection. PDU?s use and distribute the available amperage more efficiently, allowing your equipment to receive the best available power to maintain operation.

However, please note that the UPS is designed to handle a limited amount of equipment. Please be cautious about plugging too much equipment into the UPS to avoid an overload condition. To understand the load limit of your particular model UPS please consult the User's Manual, or visit APC's Product Page at
Plugging your UPS into a surge protector: In order for your UPS to get the best power available, you should plug your UPS directly into the wall receptacle. Plugging your UPS into a surge protector may cause the UPS to go to battery often when it normally should remain online. This is because other, more powerful equipment may draw necessary voltage away from the UPS which it requires to remain online.

Maintaining EPP and Warranty: Plugging any non-APC surge protector, power strip, or extension cord into the output of an APC brand UPS could void your Equipment Protection Policy (EPP). However, the standard 2 year product warranty is maintained. If, after taking into consideration this knowledge base document, you choose to use an APC brand surge protector in conjunction with your APC brand UPS, your warranty and Equipment Protection Policy will be maintained.

If you have any additional questions regarding your set-up, please call APC technical support at 800-800-4272 (Mon-Fr 8am-8pm EST).

**end quote*****

If you want to find the document yourself enter "ups with surge supressor strip" in the APC Knowledge Base.

I don't personally find the "efficiently distribute the power" argument convincing about surge strips. I always opt for non-surge strips and PDUs when working in a UPS enviroment because they are more reliable and cost less.

Hi Wires,

I see that the APC statement is on their website in the faq section, and NOT in any documention supplied with the UPS equipment. (which is what my post refered to...)

In summary what they are saying is: don't use poorly designed cheap power strips and surge protection that CAN'T HANDLE THE LOAD!

Alot of the stuff uses cheaply designed plastic receptacles with contacts that won't stand up to abuse or maintain good contact with the plugs' prongs, and if the internal devices have small gauge wire that reduces loading charcteristics and increases resistances.

That is one good reason I stay away from those simple power strips and external surge suppression. I try to get the clients to have an electrician install DOUBLE DUPLEX receptacles and/or TVSS at workstations and data centers to minimize these issues. Especially in new or remodel construction.

One other reason APC makes that statement is they would like you to buy their PDUs. More revenue for them! Although from an engineering point of view the load part is very important to make sure the wiring can handle the load and not sacrifice the power delivery to the equipment connected to it or create any hazards.

....JIM....

DTSMAN,

To your original question, there is no reason you cannot place the power strips between network switches, they should not need to breathe.
The only issues I had with mounting power strips between switches is I cannot get my hands in to plug/unplug power cords easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back