Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rack Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPIPOffice

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
Is it me, or has anybody else had a problem with the rack mount kits for the 500? after the RMK is on and screwed in from the side with the screw sticking out and the width of the unit incresses and in some cabinets won't fit?

yes

there are a few modules drilled in the wrong place

i use the ip 500 rack mounts on all the units but i have had to return a few drilled wrong

It's because they dont countersink the screws, I just put them in on an angle them smack one side up til it goes in. Problem is if the cabinet is nearly full there is no room to put it in on an angle, so you are buggered. Also the fact it is not One 'U' or two 'U' it about 1 3/4 U makes planning a cab pointless.

ACS - IP Office Implement

I had that once amriddle

I needed to bang it in so hard that the rack was twisted :)
They really should make it different

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

last install I really annoyed me, as I had to take everything out of the rack and put the IP office in side ways pass the screws, and with a little bit of force manage to rack them, only thing is it took me 5 hours to do this and I had to re-patch everything!

The rests of the installs I had to leave without rack mounts, which make it look messy.

Really need re-designing for the real world cabinets out there!

That fact that IPO modules do not conform to the "u" standard that everything else in data cab does has always been a problem.

Some customer are very precious with their data cabinets. Also, when they phone up and say "how much space do you need for your IPO unit??" and I respond with "each unit takes up a u and a bit, then the management bars sometimes will go butt up and sometimes need a gap, so I would guess at 2 1/2 u per module. Could be more, could be less." always goes down well.

Avaya say we should use the crappy little patch lead holders that come with the rack mount kits but they always go in the bin as they are not practical or big enough!! I always use proper 1 u cable management bars. this then makes the 1m leads a stretch in a big install!!!!

Whoever made the initial design (Network Alchemy) obviously never had the job of actually putting these out on site anywhere.

2 points that would make installs easier:
1) Make the units a decent size that will fit in a cabinet without random gaps.
2) Use fibre between modules so distance between them isn't an issue. Or at least make them work with leads of upto 2 1/2m!!

And don't get me started on the software. Choose your installation language. English (American). IT's OUR LANGUAGE, GET YOUR BLOODY HANDS OFF IT!!!

;-)

I think I need Whiskey!!!!!!!

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Jamie its only tuesday and you need to relax. I agree 100% on everything but the language thing. WHat kind of Whiskey do you like. i will send some over.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Jack Daniels.

I've just recently lost a bottle. I put it around here somewhere.........................................

Jamie Green

You hate their language steeling but like their whisky... lol

We don't pretend it's ours.

JD in the UK still says Tenessee on it.

When I see a bottle that says "Jack Daniels, Pennines Sour Mash", I will concede!!!!!

Jamie Green

Where in England(Little America) you from? lol

God's County-Yorkshire

Jamie Green

Yorkshire pudding yummie yummie :)

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Always the best part of any Sunday Dinner!

I have been campaigning on the install language for years but no one at Avaya is bothered.

even Philipe de Fu cannot understand the problem. im sure he would notice if the only French option was French Canadian!

I would not mind so much but the developement team is English!

Skipton is in North Yorkshire.

Nice Castle!!!!!!!

Jamie Green

Yes it has gone somewhat off topic, but while we are at it, what's the name of the pork pie shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back