Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rack Mount RAID Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheNut

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
I want to set up a small scale SQL Server 2000 cluster. To do this I plan to use 2 servers (no problems here) and a shared storage device (SCSI RAID). My question relates to the shared storage device. I purchased 3 IBM 36GB 15,000 RPM SCSI drives and would like to use them in a RAID-5 configuration. I would like your recommendations for a rackmountable (preferrably 1U) case to put them in. Also, what other hardware will I need for the shared storage device (i.e. controller card, etc.)? I am on a limited budget. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :) Game Over, Man!

Hi JabbaTheNut,

It has been several months since your post, but I am wondering how your project went.

I have 2 new Xseries servers, 2 RAID controllers and 4 SCSI drives for each. In my situation the 2nd server is just a backup/alternate to be used if the primary server fails.

But I like your idea of letting both servers share the same SCSI drives. If I can make that work, there won't be any need to setup SQL Server's merge replication which keeps data on both servers in-sync.

Did you ever get the shared storage device to work?

Thanks, hope you're still out there watching Tek-Tips.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back