Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R8 Utility server / AADS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2013
US
What is available for Utility servers now for remote locations using only an S8300E with AVP 8 installed?

I do not see in the docs anything about aads 7.1.5 being available for s8300E. Not sure what to use for firmware for both phones and media-gateways at remote locations without going across the wan link.

Roll your own I guess? Install a AVP Utilities 8 on the S8300 and see if you can use a Utility 7.1 for File Server Only? Might need a license?

most customers will not let us roll our own I am sure, I tried deploying US7.1 via SDM and it failed.

AADS is the official answer as far as I know. I've seen some customers doing a roll your own of CentOS/Apache(or nginx).

Ughh this is painful.

So this is what I gather from all the random Avaya documents out there about all of this.

Regarding Aura R8 - Going forward.

AVPU: AVP Utilities
AVP Utilities overview
In Avaya Aura® Release 8.0, Utility Services is replaced by AVP Utilities. While some of the Utility Services features are migrated to other Avaya Aura® applications, the following features of Utility Services are migrated to AVP Utilities:

• Services Port access for virtual machines
• Appliance Virtualization Platform log collection and alarming
• SSH access for Appliance Virtualization Platform
The following deployment guide helps. From

AADS:
Avaya Aura Device Services 8.0

6WM7ua3.png

After reading various documents on System Manager, I have come to the understanding that System Manager should be used for hosting Media-Gateway Firmware going forward, and each media-gateway should be added to the SMGR Solution Deployment Manager using SNMP. From there System Manager can update media-gateways, I have not done this but seems fairly straight forward.

So from a high level.
AVP - The ESXi Host, which is the required for AVP installs.
AVPU - Needed for SSH access to the AVP servers, alarming and logging as well as Service port access.
AADS - Needed for Phone Firmware hosting and other features (but does not install in a s8300e or a medium size server, tried and failed due to not enough resources even on the small flexiprint.
System Manager - Needed for Media-gateway firmware hosting going forward and also used for upgrading and just about everything else.

Do I have this right?

AADS is the going forward platform. The basic utility services are built in.

As far as the S8300 goes, I suggest throwing it away. Since the S8300 is too limited on what can go on it, I would suggest a small VMware appliance/server. Not a large delta in cost. Load CM, SM, AADS or CM and a linux server for hosting the files. I like centralized deployment so I script copying the applicable files from a single core to multiple remotes.

AUS 7.1 can be used it will complain about no license but it will function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back