Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R8 and Virtual Licenses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibroth

Technical User
Oct 27, 2005
IT
IPO installed from scratch running 7.0, NO LICENSES.

As soon upgraded to R8 it started showing the following Virtual Licenses which I wonder where are coming from:

Essential Edition (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
R8+ Preferred Edition ( valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
Advanced Edition (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
Mobile Worker (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Office Worker (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Teleworker (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Power User (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Receptionist (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)
Customer Service Agent (valid/instances 5/Expiry Never)
Customer Service Supervisor (valid/instances 1/Expiry Never)

?????????????????????

This is normal, you need to add an essential edition licence or an R8 upgrade licence soon or when the 90 days runs out it will go to muppet mode (Basic/Quick mode) :)

Untitled-1.png

the system has been upgraded within the 90 days...

....and it is not running in Muppet Mode.

It will do unless you buy an R8 upgrade licence or essential edition licence. The 90 days just allows you to run R8 but since Avaya have also licenced IP Office mode unless you add one of the licences I mentioned it will stop working :)

Untitled-1.png

mumble... I do not agree, anyway it is not correct showing all those licenses, they all are Valid instead of Dormient, it is a very confusing message

but amriddle0 is saying is that if you don't get an essential license (or an R8 upgrade license), after 90 days it will revert to muppet mode (quick/basic).

Under R7, the choice between quick and standard mode was yours to make, there was no license or cost associated.

Under R8, these are renamed to basic and essential, and there is a license cost to move up. Upgrading with a 90-day startup window will get you a virtual trial essential license, and it expires. You can get around this to an extent by purchasing an R8 upgrade license (cheaper than a R8 essential license) and installing that instead.

At least that's the way I understand it.

GB

Agree or not I am correct, after the 90 days it will only work in Quick mode (now renamed to Basic edition), attempting to use it in essential edition (IP Office mode) will not work and will stop any calls being made. When you upgraded within the 90 days it generates those virtual licences...THIS IS NORMAL. When that time window expires those licences are gone.

If you don't believe me leave it as it is and see what happens :)

Untitled-1.png

If so (which I haven't read it about in any doc) the message should be something like... valid/instances 5/Expiry March 30th...

I know, as I said it's a bug as they are just trial licences and will expire, they also disappear completely once you add the R8 upgrade licence....why add the upgrade licence you ask? As it is less than half the price of the essential edition licence but it creates a virtual essential edition licence that NEVER expires :)

Untitled-1.png

On page 17:

3.1.10 Trial Licenses

All new IP Offices (IP500 V2 only) will have the following trial licenses included: Essential edition Preferred Edition Advanced Edition Power User (Users) Customer Service Agent Customer Service Supervisor Teleworker (Users) Mobile Worker (Users) Office Worker (Users) Receptionist (Users)
The duration of the trial licenses will be 90 days and the trial will start from the first call made on the system. When you add a real Essential license during the 90 days then you lose all the trial licenses. The above licenses will not preclude the installation of trial licenses obtained via ADI, once the initial licenses have expired.

On page 14 & 15:

3.1.2 90-Day Entitlement Period
The system may be upgraded to the latest release of IP Office software (in this case R8.0) during the entitlement period; within 90 days after the system was first powered up by the customer. The customer has an entitlement period of 90 days from their initial use of the system to install the version of software they wish to run. Should another release of IP Office become available within 90 days of a system first being used, the customer may move to that release without purchasing an upgrade license. Example: if a customer first powered up the IP Office with Release 7.0 they are entitled to R8.0 within the 90 day period without charge for a R8.0 upgrade license.

3.1.4 Avaya IP Office Essential Edition License
In IP Office R7.0, no license was required to switch from Essential Edition Quick mode, Partner Version or Norstar Version to IP Office Essential edition Standard mode.
In release R8.0, IP Office Basic Edition, Basic Edition Partner Mode and Basic Edition Norstar Mode continue to require no licenses. However, upgrading these to Essential edition now requires the Essential Edition License to be applied to the system.
The Avaya IP Office Essential Edition License will enable mobile twinning and one-X Mobile Essential client for all users and provide two Home Worker / Remote Worker seats. The Home / Remote worker feature provides remote connectivity to the IP Office system without the need for a VPN concentrator interfacing to the IP Office system. Customers requiring more than two seats will purchase the Teleworker User package for this capability
The Essential Edition is a pre-requisite for Preferred Edition. The Preferred Edition will not work if the Essential Edition license is not present.
Note: The Preferred Edition users will have mobile twinning enabled for all users and retain access to the Avaya one-X® Mobile Essential for IP Office client features (included with Essential edition license). :)

Untitled-1.png

After 90 days you'll see the Virtual licences named "Invalid" in the name and the key part.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

the biggest clue should be that there are preferred, advanced, CCR etc licenses in there that also have an expiry date of "never"... do you really think that you get to keep those for free after 90 days? If not, why would you expect that the essential license sticks?

GB

Just out of curiosity does any one know if the essential edition trial licenses show an expiration date once you place the first outbound call?

Also according to what Avaya told me once you load the R8 Essential Edition license to the R8 system all the trial licenses go away, is this true?

It is very simple and just to summarize what amriddle01 posted; upgrading to 8.0 is no longer free no matter if you are within the 90 days or if you are bringing an old preferred edition license to a new system, you are going to need to buy the upgrade license or the essential edition license.

RE
APSS - SME
ACIS - SME

So I have an interesting question, that I think I know the answer to, but wanted to see what the minds at Tek-Tips think.

I recently purchased two systems that arrived as R7.
They are networked with SCN and running 9508 phones
Due to the miserable design of the R7 REV I have had nothing but issues with the 9508 phones and reboot issues. (posted on another thread)

So to Fix all this, I did a DTE port RESET on both systems.
Then Downloaded the R8 software from the Avaya Site and loaded it onto the SD card.
Both systems are up and running and have the Virtual License.
I did purchase and pay for the Preferred Edition License when bought the system as an R7.

Here is the point of my question.....
Since I loaded R8 using the method that I did, am I now unable to use the R8 upgrade license? Will I have to buy the Essential Edition instead?
Does the system think it is a Native R8 now, as opposed to an R8 that upgraded from a R7, so now the upgrade license would look redundant to the system?

I want to do this as inexpensively as possible, as I feel I was taken hostage by the crappy R7 load and forced to go R8 to fix issues.

I hear the R8 upgrade license is less money than the Essential Edition.
So if the R8 upgrade license will fix my problem, I'll go that route.
I am just concerned that the method I used to arrive at R8 will make the upgrade useless and it will require the Essential Edition anyway.

I don't want to make the mistake of buying the less expensive solution, only to find out I will need the Essential Edition anyway, and pay out for licenses I don't need.

I think the answer is to just buy the Essential Edition, but I wanted to see what you all think.

If the only fix for the R7 crapness is an R8 upgrade then Avaya will give the licence free, but in the meantime the upgrade licence will work OK and is the cheapest option.....but.

To confuse matters further, apparently Avaya has told some people that not getting an implied essential edition licence when you have an existing (full price) VM Pro licence is also a bug that will be resolved in time.

So the choice is yours :)

Untitled-1.png

awesome... i just upgraded an IP403DS to an IP500v2 with VMPro, i didn't know/think to get essential or essential upgrade with the new order.
So it "should" work with VMPro coming across to make the new R8 system Preferred edition... and that trumps an essential edition any day you'd think?

Well you have 2 options:

1) Guarantee it will be OK by taking a hit on the upgrade licence, it isn't that much

2) Hope they release a "fix" of some kind that makes the Preferred/VM Pro licence give the essential licence and if they do that it is before your 90 day window closes :)

Untitled-1.png

The recently released patch for V7.27 seems to resolve the problems with the handsets like it is supposed to
you may want to try that before going the V8 route.

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back