Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R7 and Up Control Unit Master Default

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTGMI

Vendor
Jun 1, 2006
US
I know there has been alot of info posted about the IPO upgrade license issue ....

We provide maintenance for a customer that has 50+ IP500 V1 & V2 CUs with small configs - throughout the US.

Our lab techs are trying to figure out a way to "factory default" our replacement refurbed CUs - back to the original NEW factory condition - so that they act like a new CU. Reprogramming the main memory chip?

The issue is that if we ship out a "refurb" V1 or V2 CU to the customer location - when they have a CU failure ... we are frequently running into the problem where the system is requiring the upgrade license. If it was sold as a refurb CU originally and we are replacing it with the identical SW load ... then there isn't an issue as they normally already have the upgrade license.

Only when they had an new CU and didn't need a license to operate it ... is the upgrade license issue occuring when they need a maint replacement.

Let me know.

You need to send it for "repair" and only those repair centers can do this for you.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

TLPeter

Which "repair shops" are you thinking of?

We know all of the repair shops in the US for Avaya equipment ....

Do you mean sending them back to Avaya Nat parts or Avaya maint repair and having Avaya's repair labs do them??? CTDI or Flex??

I don't think they will do it?

I don't think any repair will do that because you could send out an old R6 for repair and make it an R9 when it comes back.

I think you are just stuck with stocking new IP500V2's to send out for busted ones. or get the upgrade licenses

Joe W.

TeleTechs.ca
FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

“This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Joe

None of the locations are running higher than R8.1

I don't know the US repair centers.
It is documented somewhere but i cannot find it right now.

BAZINGA!

Any units that I have ever gotten back from an "Avaya" Repair because of a DOA issue have always been returned at the release in which they were power up on.

NTS Direct

So basically what you are doing is replacing a newer model with an older one?
Like a VW car dealer replacing a Golf Mk8 with a Mk7 and hope that the customer doesn't notice...

I'd start stocking up some new chassis if I were you.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Gunnaro - we always replace V1 to V1 and V2 to V2 as they are maint customers. Not sure what you mean ??? Not really and answer to my original post.

DTGMI, we are in the same boat and there is no other way then replace it with the same version or higher.
If the customer has a service contract then this is something you have to take care of.

BAZINGA!

Ok DTGMI, I'll make it more clear then.

You are replacing defect units that was booted up on R8.1 with units >=R8.0.
The approved method for his would be to buy the upgrade license or a new unit, the charge the customer.
(refurb unit + upgr lic cost the same as a new unit - I'd go for the new unit, with the warranty as a bonus)

Now you're asking for hack to "master factory default" and reset all counters and clocks.
Such a process made publicly available would render any upgrade license worthless, and the person providing it would face multiple lawsuits.

At first it would have a major economical impact on maintenance providers relying on license/upgrade revenues.
Secondly the R&D at Avaya would come to a complete stop, as there would be no funding left.

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Gunnar

Thanks for the reply back - but that wasn't what we are trying to do. SW version is always the same ...

We did find a solution to the issue I was referring to in my original post.

DTGMI-

I am having the same issue trying to default a V2. Can you share?

APSS-SME
ACIS-SME
ACSS-SME
CTP+

Hello DTGMI,

Don't mind sharing your solution to your original post?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back