Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R6 and distributed voicemail, news anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexdykes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2009
US
So, anyone hear any rumours about when the next maintenance release for R6 will come out and if that will indeed have support for distributed voicemail? We've been living with the consequences of SCN and not having a centralised VMPro server for a while now and it would be lovely if my message waiting lamp would function properly once again.

!You still need an SCN and you still need a centralized server so it likely won't solve any SCN problem you already have.

The distribution only really comes into play for incoming calls and messages being left - they can be handled by the distributed servers. But the actual message storage and message waiting indication is still done by the centralized voicemail server.

I realise how the system will operate, and the proposed operation concept is exactly what we need so I'm not sure what you mean by "it likely won't solve any SCN problem you already have." The very problem we have is that centralised VMailPro within an SCN is not supported, once it is a valid mode of operation our issues won't exist. The problem is only here because we are operating in a de-centralised model which SCN 5.0 was not designed for.

Centralized was the only supported way but now it is supported to have multiple vmpro machines in a SCN.

ACS IP Office
APSS IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
APSS UC
ACA - Voice Services Management

Peter,

I recall reading that multiple VMPro server in a SCN configuration was not going to be supported until the next maintenance release of R6? Is that not the case? Is it supported in the current release of 6?

Sorry, but its your statements that are confusing. For example "The very problem we have is that centralised VMailPro within an SCN is not supported" !

Reading your old threads you had multiple voicemail servers and had MWI problems at two remote sites. [Would be so much easier if you stated your arrangement and problem than making us guess it].

In theory distribute voicemail, when it is delivered, will help. But in reality seeing you statement "our sites are connected by connections that are honestly too slow and the call volume and recording demands at each site are more than we could realistically deal with" its may not.

The centralized server is still the repository of messages and recordings. So you will get reliable MWI back but only once each message gets forwarded from the distributed server to the centralized storage, ie. extra traffic. And when you access the mailbox it will be playback from the central server, ie. extra traffic again. So I suspect you'll have delayed or erratic delivery and MWI instead.

Sorry Sizbut, it has been a long Friday, my post made sense in my head, but reading it back I see the confusion!

My primary concern is: will this actually come out in the next version, or are we still multiple releases away?

Our configuration is less than ideal, but not something we can change at the moment, so I'm really just seeking any heads up on the release date of the feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back