Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R5 Replace failed drive - but Rebuild stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCorrigan

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
MT
Have a three disk R5 array .... FJ Ultra 320 &3Gb drives.

1 failed, so have bought a replacement .... took out failed, inserted new, is recognised, goes to rebuild but then fails saying that 1 of the other drives is critical :-(

If I can rebuild from the two I can then replace the 2nd critical drive, so is there a way to force a rebuild ??

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Just for Info ........

Contacted FS Support - asked to do the following

1) Remove MYLEX GAM that was being used to monitor the RAID Array and replace with ServerView RAID - Done

2) Update SCSI 320-0X card driver - Done

3) Download the latest update CD from FS's FTP site and run x2 to update EVERYTHING (has to be twice as re-boot conflict with BIOS and MC)!!!!! (this is updated monthly and is available [link ftp://ftp.fujitsu-siemens.com/fsc/supportcds/]here[/url] and is currently UPD_WIN_680201.iso

Done all this and reported SVRaid logs back and now have the following response :
The SCSI Sense data does give us some clue.

When you break it down you get:

70h = Error
OB = Target Aborted command (Disk)
28 = Additional Sense valid
47 = SCSI Parity Error

On the basis you have tried two new disks, and the others are still working ok - then the SCSI Parity Error points a problem with the backplane connector for that slot.

This Server is still in warranty (until the 23rd of September), so I suggest you contact the warranty line (+xx (x) xxxx xxxxxx) say you have spoken to us (reference XXXnnnnn) you need a new SCSI backplane.

So RESULT !!!! Will post back after engineer arrives and does :)

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back