Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R5 - dbLookup/dbColumn - formula for server or local

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseQuiervo

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
US
What is the server parameter to allow the lookup feature to pick between EITHER a local OR server located database (it has the same database name - ie DB1)? I tried "": "DB1.nsf" and that works partially. If I throw a server name in the quotes it won't look at local. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

There is no "server parameter" - either the db is on the server or it is local.

Let me put it this way : by using color blue]WkServer:=@subset(@DbName;-1)[/color], you will get the name of the server the database is located at (which means "" if the db is on the client drive).

If you are trying to force the server-based db to search for data in the local replica, you are in for a bad surprise. The server does not understand what Local is - it will look for a server named Local.
The server cannot query for data on a local drive. But as far as the integrity of the code is concerned, you do not need to worry : the correct server name will be retrieved and the code will continue to execute whether the db is located on a server or not.

Does this help you ?

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back