Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R5 - Date calculations (totals, averages, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseQuiervo

Programmer
Sep 25, 2002
US
I want to use DateBegan and DateEnded as my two primary fields. I would like to show the # of days in between the two. Then, have a count of every document, add up the days in between the two dates on each document and do an average. Where should I begin? Is this possible in a view or at least some of this?

Please advise. I really appreciate the assistance.

All the information you need seems to be in the documents themselves, so I see no major problem.
One issue you might run into is performance. It is possible to do all calculations in the view, but besides being tedious, it is also a real speed bump if you have many documents.
I would suggest making a hidden field in the form to count the days between start and end.
In the view, all you need then is to display start, end and day number. The column displaying day number can then be totalled and averaged, and you're done.

I hope this does not come too late,

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back