Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R2 on a IBM blade center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2010
US
Hi,
My boss has just installed the windows 2008 server on 2 blades on a IBM blade center. The problem i m having is that when i walk up to the server i see a command prompt only. There is no windows. I cant RDP into it or even conifgure anything. I know there is a remote console for the blade center, however i do i access the windows itself?
I have read somethings regarding gui-less R2. is this the case, and if so can i upgrade to get it with gui? or do i have to install OS again.
My boss is an idiot so he doesnt know what he has done, he just followed the IBM installation wizard CD on the new box and i guess it asked him to put the 2k8 R2 CD in, and he just followed the instaructions.

Thank you in advanced for your help

Sounds like you could have Windows Core installed. If you want the GUI version, you need to reinstall the OS.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

You can't control individual servers in a blade server from a console, you have to either use RDP or connect to the Management Module in the blade and then control the individual blades.

But...as Pat says if your boss installed Windows core then that complicates things. Is it responding to an HTTP request?

Windows 2008 Core mode is a command line only version of the OS. All configuration is done via the command line or remotely via MMC.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

On the bright side, if you run SCONFIG you can enable RDP and remote administration and it will create the exceptions for the Windows firewall. You still won't have a GUI, but you can manage it remotely via MMC or Powershell.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Thank you guys. My boss try to be a hero, and now its double work. Dont you guys love it when your boss knows 10% of what you know but he is still your boss because he kisses too much xxxx. Lol. Gots to love politics! not.

Thanks again.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back