Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R10.1 Communicator Coverage Appearance Buttons don't ring - Alternate options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeLB

Programmer
Jan 21, 2011
US
It appears that coverage appearance buttons aren't alerting the user's Communicator desktop app, only the deskphone back in their office. I can't find any documentation that says this won't work but I am assuming it is by design. They have Power User and Softphone licenses and are release 10.1. I'm not too familiar with what softphones still work with this release and thought it was only Communicator and am curious if there is another solution that will work so she can be alerted of calls to 3 other people.

Without getting a receptionist license for Softconsole, which I would assume work with coverage buttons, does anyone know if softphone would alert coverage calls and it's just a communicator issue?

As far as I know no softphone is going to accommodate coverage buttons. Coverage buttons are an antiquated concept and generally do not need to be used in IP Office. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish you should be able to do it with a group and/or twinning.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I wouldn't say coverage buttons are antiquated. The main issue is that having for decades had phones with programmable feature buttons, Avaya have then continually come up with a stream of softphone applications that have no or very limited programmable button feature support.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

The user that requires a softphone/communicator also requires the ability to answer calls for 3 other people. Those 3 other people also need to be answered by another employee, so I believe twinning is out of the question. I know I can create a group for those users to include the other two individuals but I can't expect the customer to retrain their entire staff to use the group extension instead of the users extension, especially if dialing by name from the AA.

Does anyone know if softconsole would work with coverage or bridged appearances? I would hate to have them purchase a Receptionist license if it does not work.

I use softconsole and I do not see any settings for coverage/bridged appearances and there is no mention of them in the help.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back