Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quote versus Quotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic

Technical User
May 8, 2006
US
This may be only the by-product of an over-zealous assistant forensics coach. In college he beat it into my head that you quote somebody and recite a quotation.

I’ve almost posted this half a dozen times but the ‘favorite quote’ thread finally set me out to ask this question:

Was my assistant coach off-base or is ‘quote’ simply a very miss-used word that most people aren’t aware of (I was clueless until he repeated shot me with a squirt gun whenever I said ”In this quote by…”)

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

No, your forensics coach is not off-base.

Quote is a verb.
Quotation is a noun.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Thanks.

With as cross-the-t and dot-the-i as this forum often is I was surprised how many times I saw people referring to a 'quote' by someone and thought I might have been fed a line.

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:

Unfortunately, the misuse is so pervasive, that it's generally accepted even though it's technically wrong. That is also how language evolves, and I suspect it won't be long before quote is a noun.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I didn't the difference either until my sophomore year of college, so I'm going to hold anyone to it... I'm just a little surprised that as grammar concious as this board is, it wasn't made an issue of. :p

BJCooperIT said:
Slinks back to my corner...

My appologies... I've almost asked this question a half a dozen times and I left several practice sessions dripping wet due to a coach that had this as a personal pet-peeve. I thought I was the one that was confused.

But as it seems what I'm best at is unintentionally mucking things up, and today I seem to be doing a mighty fine job of it all around.

Lunatic,
I do not mind being taken to task on a mistake I have made. Particularly when it is done with humor; it is a learning experience. What made me cringe was that my mistake became fodder for an entirely new thread.

I have another favorite quotation:
Alvin Toffler said:
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
Peace!

I remember the last time an insurance agent offered to give me a quotation. I asked for Keats; he was confused.

Yeah, I know, different definition. I just like the story.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back