Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quotation Marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenage

MIS
Jun 7, 2002
GB
I'm sure that there is a simple rule for this and that it has somehow escaped me, but I do not recall being taught it.

When quoting a passage or part of a speech I generally nest it in quotation marks; I have however seen people use apostrophes in their stead.

I have always assumed quotation marks were the correct choice (hence the name), but are either acceptable or are apostrophes used for a completely different purpose?

I'd have called them single quotes rather than apostrophes (& as opposed to double quotes).
I was taught to use them to aid clarity if you're quoting someone who is quoting someone else eg I would quote a passage from a book as: "She said 'xxxxxxxx'".
I would use the double quotes for whatever I'm quoting & the single for quotes within that, although that may just be habit.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

That would make sense. Thank you for the clarification Sha.

I think that's right. You should use double quotes when directly quoting some source, but if inside that quote is another quote, than a single quote would be used. You would continue alternating between double quotes and single quotes to remove any ambiguity between where any specific quote starts and ends.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Grenage,

This thread1256-823418 has somewhat confusing title, but I believe it's what you are looking for.

Stella

Grenage,

In the thread pointed to by Stella, I said this about single vs double quotes:
Fred says "come here". -> direct quote.
That's a 'come here' look. -> look is described, not a quote.

Not to make things less clear, but if the quote is over 5 lines long it should be indented on both margins rather than use the quotation marks.

Also in the US, if the quotation mark is at the end of a sentence, the pucntuation should be inside the quotation mark even if it was not part of the original quotation.

Personally, I hate this rule and tend to use the punctuation outside the quotation mark if it is not part of the quote. I think it is clearer that way.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

SQLSister,
Check the thread for which I posted the link above. We have covered the topic of punctuation inside/outside the quotation there, too, along with historical reasons for this rule. It might be of interest to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back