Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quotas/File Control - R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRPGroup

MIS
Jun 22, 2005
CA
Does the R2 allow for control to be set at the folder or partition level.

I am using Win2003 and the quotas are limited to the partition and I am trying to plan our folder structure. I am wanting to setup a Temp Work Area for staff on the same drive we have all our client data. I am hoping to use R2 to limit the file types and quota this folder area but not affect the main data area with the quotas only file types.

Is this possible with R2.

If i'm reading it correctly you want to have one folder structure with user folders in that have quota limits enabled and then a seperate folder that just has file type restrictions but no quota.

Is that right?

If so then the answer is yes the R2 quotas can be set at the folder/share level and aren't based on file ownership.

Porkchopexpress
That is basically what I am trying to do.

I want to minimize the # of mapped drives to staff and also if possible avoid created separate partions for all the areas I would like to quota.

Eg
Server1
D:\Data
Client Data
Temp Work Area
HR
etc

D:\Users

I will map 2 separate drives 1 for the Data folder and 1 for the User folders.
The User folder would have quotas and file restrictions
On Data folder I would like to set file restriction but only place quotas on the Temp Work Area.

I was hoping by moving these folders to a server with R2 it would allow for folder level settings instead of being forced to create separate partitions and more mapped drives.

I have a server setup almost exactly like that just file screens on a shared area and then quotas set on the user folders. Work stored in the shared area has no effect on the work folder storage unlike 2003 R1 quotas.

Oh and like you asked i have a sub folder in the shared area with a quota applied.

D:\Shared -
General Managers(No Quota)
General Staff (Quota applied)

Seems like R2 will do exactly what I want. I am just trying to plan the move of these folders and this will help.

Thanks for all the input.

Agreed,but not installed by default and not mentioned previously in this thread

I am hoping to use R2 to limit the 'file types' and quota

I think that is an adequate desctiption of the FSRM utility, i thought KRPGroup was refering to this feature in the first post and asking if it would do what was required.

Possibly, but it never hurts to make things totally clear though.

When you set a quota limits and warning levels, does the user get notified when they reach a warning of 85% or 95% or do they just receive a failure when they reach 100% usage.

You can set the trigger levels you require in FSRM.

If you have a look at the supplied templates these will give you an idea of what is possible. The help text is also pretty informative.

There is a slight niggle with the R2 quotas it's not really relevant to your problem but i just thought i'd moan about it :)

When using standard windows disk quotas if a user viewed their mapped home drive it would tell them the amount of space they had left, if they do the same when using the R2 quota system it tells them the amount of space that is available on the entire disk not what they have left. This is a bit of a shame as users don't have a way to easily view their available space.
Unless i've missed an obvious setting or tool.

I did go thru the help (not completely yet but working on it) and it does mention user notifications, but I was unclear if I needed to specify the users email address for if it was getting it auto from AD.
I setup a test quota on my Home folder and then proceeded to increase it but did not rec any notifications.

Another question is, do I understand it correctly that I need to setup individual quotas for each home folder separately or can I set a single quota at the root folder of all the home folders.

I set the service to alert me in the event log on the server but the users are only alerted when they run out of space.

You can select to apply the quota to existing folders and new subfolders when you set the quota.

After some very brief testing FRSM did send emails to me but they were intercepted by our anti-spam system (GFI MailEssentials).

Perhaps something similar is happening in your case?

It was fixed after applying SP2.

I have read the entire help menu on Quotas an I am still a bit unclear on a few items.

1. If I set an auto quota on home folders but have a few staff that will need a bit higher limit I will have to go in and manually edit their folders only? Then make sure if the original template is changed not to apply to any modified quotas.

2. The help mentions an Extended quota, the users are given a flexible quota where when the limit is hit it will give them an additional 20MB.

A flexible 500 MB quota on a group's shared folder can be set. When this storage limit is reached, all users in the group are notified by e-mail that the storage quota has been temporarily extended to 520 MB, so that they can delete unnecessary files and comply with the preset 500 MB quota policy.

Are they simulation this with Notification or combining 2 quotas on the same folder(s) or something as I can not see even on their templates eg "200MB with 50MB Extension or 250MB Extened Limit" how they are achieving this or if the # of MB can be adjusted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back