Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Wrong" Logon Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gclumpkin

Technical User
Mar 24, 2004
US
All:

Our network consists of two LANs connected via VPN. We have a DC in both offices. Our users run a logon script that utilizes the IFMEMBER program to run through a standard script. If they are a member of a group, then a drive letter is mapped, etc. Our servers are Windows 2000.

For some reason, certain people in our main office are running the logon script from the DC in the remote office. This makes the drive mapping take a long time to complete. When I type SET at a command prompt, I see LOGON SERVER=\\server_name which is the DC in the remote office. When I type in the same command on a machine in the remote office, that variable is not even displayed.

Any ideas? A friend of mine who is a Sys Admin at another firm noted one day that our sites weren't set up correctly. Could that be what is doing it? If so, how do I fix it on a Windows 2000 Domain?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,
Greg

Your friend is probably correct these are common symptoms of sites not being configured correctly. Is the link between the two LAN's routed with both lans having a different IP range?

Take a look here.

You know what Jack Burton always says at a time like this...

Thanks for the link. Yes, the two LANs are routed and they have different IP ranges; one has 192.168.0.x and the other is 192.168.1.x.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back