Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"winsrv was not found" error following attempted SP2 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoophyte

Technical User
Jun 21, 2005
CA
OK. I’ve read all the posts regarding this already and I apologise for thrashing a dead dog but I would really like to get this machine going again, but I have some problems.

The Situation: Large Law Firm and this is a partners high end IBM computer. Out of well over 1200 XP SP2 installs this is the only one we had a problem with.

]My Complaint: We ghost the XP Pro images onto all computers so replacing it is not a big deal but it worries us that we cannot get this issue fixed easily. This is personal!!

]What We Have Tried: Once we knew what the actual error was we checked out MS KB 885523 and followed all steps possible. Booting into any of the safe modes does not work obviously so the nearest alternative is the Recovery Console. In the RC we attempted removing XP SP2 but it gives an error stating that the required file for uninstall is missing. This is despite the fact that there is a uninstall folder for SP2, it just has nothing in it.

So the next option was for an 'In Place Upgrade". I’ve tried these before with not much luck so I didnt hold out any hope and its just as well. At the 35 minute mark as its installing devices the system decides to take a rest and will not proceed any further with the upgrade/installation. Now the system is still responding, its just stuck at that point of the install. You can do a Shift-F10 and bring up a Command Prompt and access Control Panel applets etc. I thought maybe its just taking a while but after over 2 days sitting at that point I think its time to give up.

I have read and familiarized myself with all previous threads in regards to this issue so there is no need to waste your time re-hashing those suggestions. There has to be a better way to break back in to this OS??

Do you think this may be a corrput and unrepairable Registry??

Do any of you kind folk have any suggestions at all?

Kind regards and thanks for your time,
Zoo

If your machine is identical to other local machines then maybe grabbing the SP2 Uninstall file from one of those machines and using Recovery Console to get it into the problem machine?

Your problem is that the attempted fixes have left this machine in a "no man's land" and it may not be salvageable.

If you want to rescue data from it you could look at the following.

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD) which includes virus scanners via plugins.

The same might be possible with a parallel install of XP.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP. Don't install any unnecessary programs just some virus scanners, keep the parallel installation as simple as possible.

Or the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

If it all gets too much there is always Format and Reinstall to consider.

A point on reinstalling, make sure any USB devices are removed and that any Bios virus scanning is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back