Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Windows Secrets" and svchost.exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
While this problem has been addressed here before, Windows Secrets newsletter has another take on svchost.exe using 100% of the CPU. See it here. Scroll down a bit to see "Svchost.exe gets worse before it's fixed."

IMHO, good newsletter!

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

It looks like this is going to affect very few people. I mean, the number of folks not using automatic updates, not installing patches manually and using a beta version of the software has got to be very small.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Hi, Grenage

I think you have misinterpreted the scope of the problem.
It is not a question of whether or not you use automatic updates, but of which update program you use, Windows Update (which just updates Windows) or Microsoft Update (which is supposed to update all MS installed products). Upgrading to the optional Microsoft Update is what intoduces the dodgy dll which sends svchost loopy.

The problem with the Live Messenger Beta is it also switches your system to Microsoft Update, so it will be updated automatically as well.

Jock

Oh I see; thank you correcting me. I can see why that would be somewhat more of a problem.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Wow

Thank you very much 2ffat! That was an annoying problem that i'm having on my desktop at work! I don't have the power to solve it but at least i know by now what is causing it :)

A star deserved!

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back