Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollyking

MIS
Oct 22, 2002
US
We are running an AD domain with 2 windows 2003 servers as domain controllers/DNS servers. I'm trying to put an ip filter in place so that I don't have to allow all ports on the workstations through to the DC's. I've allowed 135 tcp & udp, 53 tcp & udp, 88 tcp & udp, 389 tcp & udp, 445 tcp & udp, 123 tcp & udp, 464 tcp, 3268 tcp, 137 tcp & udp, 138 udp, 42 tcp and 139 tcp. The problem is the workstations are getting error ID 1054, Source: Userenv "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network." What other access do the workstations need to sucessfully log into the domain controller? By the way - everything works without the filter.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks for the thought. Though I didn't list them all in the original question, I have allowed all these ports.

This is what I did to fix it. My original ip filter rules were set up as follows: From source <the test subnet> to Destination <My ip address> 'permit' protocol <TCP> From Any Port To this port <53>. I did this for all the ports I listed in the original question. Everything started working fine when I added rules as followed: From source <My ip address> to Destination <the test subnet> 'permit' protocol <TCP> From Any port To this port <53>. I did this for ports 53 tcp and udp, 389 tcp, 139 tcp and 445 tcp. Since all the original rules (and the new ones) are 'mirrored,' I guess I don't understand what Mirrored means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back