Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Win7’s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadChough

Programmer
Dec 20, 2007
GB
I have been considering doing a total re-install of my Windows 7 (32bit) system in order to get it back up to speed. The I can across this article entitled "Win7’s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall" at:
Has anyone tried this approach, and if so, can it be recommended?
Thanks.

I haven't tried that approach before, but it sounds like a reasonable alternative to wiping the drive, reinstalling applications, and reapplying personal preferences. I would only recommend you make a backup of your drive before attempting, in case something unexpected happens. Also, I wouldn't expect a world of difference in the speed of your system. System files will be replaced in the process, but the bloat from installed applications and corrupt registry entries will still be there.

If you try it and don't notice much of an improvement, you can use Microsoft's Easy Transfer wizard or their User State Migration Tool to backup personal preferences before doing a complete overhaul and reinstalling from scratch. That will certainly give you a speed boost depending on the age of the system. The only real difference in the amount of time this lengthier option takes is the process of reinstalling applications, since you are backing up/restoring your user profile.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Agree with Cdogg, you will get very little if any increase in speed with the "upgrade". Even with a clean install, you will get a speed increase for a short time before it starts to slow down again. A star for upgrade information.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

I saw that years ago when it was first published but never had a reason to use it. My personal philosophy is always a full installation, meaning starting with a backup and then a deletion of all partitions and a fresh full install.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I'm not encouraged to pursue the idea as the consensus seems to be that it won't add much to the PC's performance.

I think its purpose was less installation to be done vs. performance increase.

Any opinions on using disk imaging software to return to a fresh install? I've used Ghost in the past and am now using True Image. I only use the basic functionality (save an image, restore from image) but have been happy with the results.

I am a believer in having a clone (or image) for a fast restoration on critical and or complicated machines. At most of my clients I make a clone after finishing up an initial install...after >25 years in this business I am more then tired of the stress of rebuilding from scratch. It is nice to have a machine up an running in less then an hour after a dead drive is replaced.

Popular Mechanics, 1949

Are you licensed to use that cloning software on multiple machines? Most paid products (Ghost, Acronis, Macrium) you aren't free to use it on any machine, it's tied to the machine. But with the free products it's very smart to make an image but ideally you would update it periodically. Not always feasible.

I make two images. One as the computer arrived from the factory and the second after all Windows updates and driver updates. Then it's just a matter of putting on the apps.

For cloning I either get the client to pay for the software or use a free version. On servers, rarely is the client going to pay for a server version, all my clients have the "system" on a raid 1, so I rotate one of the disks out as a clone occasionally, especially with AD (concerning Tombstone life)

"ideally you would update it periodically. Not always feasible"
Rarely do I update except on super critical/complicated machines. If a clone saves me a few hours I am happy with that. I am big into raid 1 on workstations..for under $100 for an extra drive it has saved me many a rebuild.

Popular Mechanics, 1949

Returning for a moment, if I may, to my original issue here - ie my Windows7 set-up going slow, I would welcome some insight as to why.
I have been running Photoshop CC, and it is with this program that I am having the greatest problems with speed. I expected to have to wait a while as PScc worked with quite large files, but it has been taking a stupid amount of time to even load a photo into the workspace, and even longer to undertake some of the processing. Because of this I checked the Windows Task Manager/Performance monitor whilst PScc was undertaking a job, expecting to see the CPU running at 100% and looking red in the face. On the contrary. It registered CPU usage at 1 or 2%, and Memory at about half-way up the graph. I can't claim to understand a great deal about these things, but shouldn't the CPU be working harder than 2% whilst trying load my photo into its workspace?
Any ideas/insights/explanations for me?

re the post above, I've tested the same thing today and find the CPU is much more lively. Seems to be an intermittent problem. Maybe I'll just have to re-boot when the system starts grinding. In the meantime I have discovered that the external HDD on which I put my early System Images has given up the ghost . . . and so it goes on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back