Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Win32.Downloader.gen" found as Malware by Spybot

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
It seems to be a genuine Microsoft file that is also there to "protect", why would Spybot find it as malware? Is there any truth to this?
Any ideas?

Search results from Spybot - Search & Destroy

Win32.Downloader.gen: [SBI $37CF691B] Autorun settings (SearchProtect) (Registry Value, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4242020725-342712715-3592481592-1005\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\SearchProtect

Thanks guys

JDL

If other scanners like AntiMalware don't see this as a virus or trojan, then it would be safe to assume a false positive.

Seems that Spybot may have a problem with a false positive with this file. The signature that this file produces when Spybot checks it may be the same that a real trojan has. The problem may lie in the algorithms or signatures that Spybot uses to check for viruses.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Thanks for sharing 2ffat.
Do you know if AntiMalware would install while SpyBot is installed?

JDL

Do you know if AntiMalware would install while SpyBot is installed?
Absolutely. Just don't try to run them at the same time. I've used my AV, Spybot, AntiMalware, SpywareTerminator, and SuperAntiSpyware all on the same machine before. I would run them one at a time, carefully comparing what they detect and deleted. I also use HiJack-This, too.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back