Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Why Grammar Counts at Work" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
Here's an interesting op-ed piece from Forbes. It also includes a link to another article from the Wall Street Journal.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Good article; thanks for bringing it up.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Defiantly sumthing that 2days yoof shud reed!!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I wonder if Kyle Wiens, CEO of iFixit, would hire an applicant who on their CV spelt the word "recognise" instead of "recognize"

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Hmm... when is the "... and I" usage correct then?

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

When you talk of yourself as the subject and not the object (grammatically speaking).

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Bring back the wooden ruler "whacking" technique. Make a mistake, get a whack! :)

I do agree with the article. I'm no expert on grammar, but I do make an effort and pull myself up (and annoyingly others :) ) about spelling and grammar.

My daughter (two and a bit) came home from play group pronouncing water as "waughah" (lazy southern England English.) Every time she says it, we drum into her it is said "watER." She is generally very clever and loves her books, so I have faith we can "beat it out of her" ;-)

If the people looking after our kids can't get it right, what hope is there!!!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Generally this could be considered fighting a losing battle.

I just overheard a manager saying to one of her team that she wanted the team member to speak to a senior manager about an issue.

Rather than saying something along the lines of "Would you ask Senior Manager about..." or "can you speak to..." she said "...and when you see Senior Manager can you go..." followed by a description of the issue she wanted raised and how.

What can you do if people who can't even string together a simple lucid sentence are put in positions of authority?

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

Nothing like sleeping ones way to the top. :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Nothing like sleeping ones way to the top.

I agree. Nothing beats politics!

sleepypoliticians11.jpg

[tongue]

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Because sentence structure can be quite complex on occasion, I silently drop the other out of the sentence: "Aunt Sue is coming to visit (you and) I" To visit I? Nah; to visit me! Therefore Aunt Sue is coming to visit you and me.

Similarly, for "it's vs its", just substitute "it is" and see if it works. If 'yes', it's; if 'no', its.

Frank Clarke
--America's source for adverse opinions since 1943.

Ending a sentence with a preposition: the object of the game is communication. If communication happens, everything's A-OK.

It turns out there are several verbs for which :) it's not even possible: 'pay' vs 'pay for' illustrates this. "That car wasn't even paid for!" is nearly impossible to rework to avoid the trailing 'for'.

Frank Clarke
--America's source for adverse opinions since 1943.

Thanks MakeItSo and rexxhead... I knew when it sounded right or wrong, but just couldn't quite remember the distinction.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back