Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Warning: Fat32 is still ALPHA"; cd-burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glover

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
US
Hello,

I have a PIII 700Mhz Dell laptop with a single 20 GB hard disk I am working on. It suffered some serious data corruption previously from an unclean shutdown and today I just did a clean Red Hat 7.3, kernel 2.4.18-3 install on it today.

Question 1: Isn't vfat filesystem readable in linux? I ask because this laptop is a dual boot with Win98. It has 3 windows drives (C: is a partition, D: and E: are logical partitions) that I need to access from linux. I tried to mount them by adding the following into the /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda1 /win98-C vfat uid=10368,gid=10368,umask=002,rw,dev,exec,suid 1 1
...and a line for win98-D, win98-E, respectively...
and then mounted them, which succeeded.
However, after reboot, I noticed during the bootup the following error message: "Fat32 is still ALPHA" (or something close to 'is still').
What exactly does this message mean? I've used other Red Hat systems that read Win98 drives without a problem, so I was surprised to see that.

Question 2) This laptop has a detechable external DVD reader / CD burner that connects to the laptop's docking station with a SCSI type interface. How can I configure it so that it may write to CD's in linux? I use the eroaster software, but it could not detect the burner. However, I can read CD-roms that contain data from /dev/cdrom. Does it require further configuring somewhere? I have never used a SCSI cd-burner in linux.

Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back