Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Unspecified Error" calling MTS object from ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

Programmer
Mar 19, 1999
GB
Hi,

I am getting an "Unspecified Error" message back from my MTS objects when I call them and I can't work out why. The exact setup that causes the problem is as follows:

ASP page written in VBScript doing the initial call
MTS Components written in Delphi.
Database is Oracle 8.1

Calling objects marked as "Do not support transactions", there is no problem. When calling objects marked as "Requires a transaction", the "Unspecified Error" comes back. Nothing is written to the NT Event logs.

Help! Jonathan
jon_george1@hotmail.com

Working against: Visual Basic, Access, Visual Interdev, VBScript, JavaScript, Active Server Pages, SQL Server, Oracle, XML

Hey,

We are researching a similar error, We have are using:

ASP page written in VBScript doing the initial call
MTS Components written in VB6.
Database is Oracle 8.1.7

We have been working with Microsoft and Oracle and have narrowed it down to a possible problem with the 8.1.7 Oracle client. Our code has been in MTS working for the past 6-7 months, we upgraded our oracle DB to 8.1.7 and 4 of our procedure calls started returning strange errors. In our case 3 of the 4 procedure were fixed by modifing the sp's output parameter types. The other SP we were not able to fix so we re-wrote the vb code as a temp fix.

Troy

Troy,

We never found the exact cause of the error, but by changing to the Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle (from the Microsoft OLEDB Driver for Oracle), we managed to make it go away. We also tried the Oracle OLEDB Driver, without much luck.

It seems a bit of a shame to be forced to use the ODBC driver, but with the apparent lack of any really good documentation on the subject, there was not much else we could do. We're already using 8.1.7, so it's not that.

Cheers Jonathan
jon_george1@hotmail.com

Working against: Visual Basic, Access, Visual Interdev, VBScript, JavaScript, Active Server Pages, SQL Server, Oracle, XML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back