Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Unmounting" SAN Disk in Windows during migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsp1965

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
CA
We are in the process of migrating from "regular" SAN disks to "virtualized" SAN disk, and we are going through a list of activities in preparation for the migration. We have the following activities indicated

After shutting down apps and databases;
- Un-mount filesystems associated with LUNs
- Un-mount all file systems associated with the LUNs
- Remove all hdisks and vpaths

Although I am not a SAN expert, I seriously doubt that you are required to do this in Windows environments (don't think it's even supported). Then again is this necessary even in Unix environments? My question is for the purposes of this exercise is it feasible that shutting down the server will cover all the above and the migration to the new disk is done at the SAN level. When the server reboots it should be able to find its updated disks
Comments anybody? Thank you.

Regards

Terry

What do you mean by from "Standard" SAN disks to "Virtualized". Seems that this is a standard data/disk migration from one type array to another.

What do you plan on using to copy the data?

And yes, a Windows box just needs to be rebooted, same as some *Nix hosts except AIX and HPUX

Umounting in Windows = unnassign drive letter in disk management. That way, whatever your applications or users try, IO operations on the disk are not possible.

HTH,

p5wizard

One important question, and this is not OS-specific :

is the same device driver required to communicate with the "virtual" LUN as is required to communicate with the "normal" LUN, and do you need different multi-pathing software?

HTH

Kind Regards,
Matthew Bourne
"Find a job you love and never do a day's work in your life.

Thank you guys for the information. You are correct we are moving to another array but this storage will be using IBM's SVC product for virtualization (don't mind me.. I am being bombarded with a lot of new technology on the fly so my descriptions may be off).
As for un-assigning a drive in Windows as far as I know you can only change the drive letter or change the path to it. I agree that rebooting is the only valid method
As for Matthew's question the same device driver can be used for the virtualized LUN apparently, only difference being that the drive will appear under a different device name in this case Windows device manager (bare in mind this is relation to IBM environments -- don't know about others)
Thanks again for your help

Regards

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back