Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"unexpected error ocurred accessing Front Page web files...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lesgreen

Technical User
Aug 1, 2001
BR
Every time I try to publish my web pages to my site, I get a message saying the following:-

"An unexpected error ocurred accessing Front Page web files. Authors - if authoring againsta a web server, please contact the Webmaster for this servers site. Webmasters - please see the server's system log for more details"

Anyone out there come across this?

The site I am using is one of the free type websites, but do offer the ability to upload a site

The server probably doesn't have front page extensions set up. I've been forced to FTP my pages using WSFTP95, CuteFTP, or a similar program.

If ANYONE has knowledge of how my server can succeed in installing FP extensions, please let me know! I've been FTP-ing via WSFTP ever since I bought FP, due to their inability to install the extensions. (Yes, they've downloaded MS's software...but it doesn't work for them or the other server here in town)..:(

Regarding LesGreen's Error Message: "An unexpected error ocurred accessing Front Page web files. Authors - if authoring againsta a web server, please contact the Webmaster for this servers site. Webmasters - please see the server's system log for more details"

It's possible that this message is the result of problems on the server but this message also comes up if you have removed or destroyed any of the hidden files created by FrontPage.

To Lynwood's dilemma I have to ask: Why would you keep your site on a server that can't get the extensions installed correctly? I can understand allowing them a couple of days maybe to fix your problem but to keep using them for any length of time makes no sense to me and not just due to the FrontPage problem.

My logic says that any server who can't accomplish what many other servers do accomplish is probably not up to snuff on other areas. I'd be wondering how their security was ...how their connection speed and backup was...along with a lot of other questions.

While it's true that a huge number of servers have problems with FrontPage extensions not all of them do. Find a server that will let you test publish or will offer a 30 day refund and make the switch!

bunni dot com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back