Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"unable to add printer. Operation cannot be completed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlaSita27

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
I have XP Pro PC on a network. Everytime I attempt to add a printer, I get "unable to add printer. Operation cannot be completed". I'm using the correct driver downloaded off a specific site, and even if I use a driver that is built in XP, I get the same message. I'm adding the printer via IP address locally, using an LPR port. The print spooler is running. I've rebooted several times, any suggestions?

Define the printer by its physical port (LPTx, COMx, USBx, etc. and share it with a name. Then:

1. First, determine if you are missing the 'lpr port' package. Open "Printers and Faxes" inside of "Control Panel" or the Start Menu.

2. Once Printers and Faxes is open, under Printer Tasks, click "Add A Printer". This will open a windows-based 'wizard'. Click "next" on the wizard window. Click "local printer.." clear the checkmark from "automatically detect and install my plug and play printer" checkbox, then click NEXT.

3. Click "create a new port" and then select "LPR Port" from the dropdown field listing. If you do not see "LPR Port" here than you must 'cancel' the wizard and install the missing network component "Print Services for Unix".
If you see "LPR Port" in the dropdown field listing, go to step 10 below, otherwise go to step 4.

4. Open "Network Connections" (this is located inside "control panel" see step 1 above).

5. Click on the "advanced" menu heading at the top of the "network Connections" window (this is on the menu bar "File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Advanced, Help").

6. A fly-out submenu will open; drag your mouse down to "Optional Networking Components..." and click the mouse once. A "Wizard window" will open.

7. Click in the box to the left of "Other Network File and Print Services" label, then click on the "detail..." button. This will open up the "Other Network File and Print Services" window. Make sure the "Print Services for
Unix" checkbox is selected (has a checkmark in it), if it does not, click once in the checkbox to select this component, then click the "OK" button to close this window.

8. Click "NEXT". If you have a preinstalled version of Windows XP, most likely the computer will now add the missing component and you won't need to do anything. If you installed Windows XP yourself, than this is where you
will likely need to insert the Windows XP Installation CD and follow the instructions to install from a CD.

9. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 above.

10. Click NEXT and then provide the following information:

a. Name or address of server providing LPD: Enter either the domain name or the IP address of the computer hosting the printer resource.

b. Name of printer or print queue on that server: Enter the name of the printer as it is identified by the print sharing computer.

11. Now you will be asked for a print driver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back