Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Too Many Memory Varialbles" Foxpro2.6/DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihabaloul

Programmer
Feb 10, 2007
PS
I have my own DOS-BAsed application written in foxpro 2.6 (DOS), it is running okay on many PCs through XP/98 Windows OKAY , BUT on some PCs my same application version has an error at the begining says "Too Many Memory Variables".
I faced such error in the past and solve it by haveing the line :MVCOUNT=700 in the foxpro.fp (in the foxpro Folder) , I tried: (on the Failed PCs running)
1) increase the above number to MVCOUNT=1000 .
2) Include FILES=90 in the config.nt .

But I have the same error........, WHile as I mentioned above the same version is running on hundreds of PC Normally.

Also, How could I knew(or print out) the maximum number of varialbles defined or customized for invistigations.

regards
ihab

You can display or print memory varaibles using the DISPLAY MEMORY command. See the help file.

I suggest you increase your value of MVCOUNT to 4000 and add
MEMLIMIT = 80, 2048, 16384
to your config.fp file as a test to see if the problem is resolved.

Is the error message appearing on Win 98 and Win2000 and WinXP or only on some of the operating systems?

Hi Nasib,
What are the differences between FOXPRO and FOXPROX, Also, How Could I get the latest version of FOXPRO (DOS) as a full package for testing purposes.

Hi Cricket,

I tried the MVCOUNT and MEMLIMIT values BUT still have the problem, Actually this Package works on XP while I have many others works OKAY also on XP so it faulted on some PCs ONLY.

regards
IHAB

Are you running this program as an executable or application?

I do not know precisely what the position is regarding MVCOUNT etc, as to whether the values set on the PC that builds the app/exe are inherited by each user, rather than the values set on individual machines.

How could I check in foxpro 2.6 (DOS) the maximum number of variables defined at the executed time.

Run this code:

llError=.F.
on error do Err
for x=1 to 1000000
stor 'some' to ('a'+allt(str(x)))
if llError
exit
endif
endfor
return

procedure Err
llError=.T.
? 'number of created variables=',x-1
return

Tomas

Foxpro or foxprox are shipped together on the same media. x stand for Extended that is it uses extended memory. Because of the dos addressing limitation, foxprox will use more than 640KB so that your program, if requires more RAM for Memory vars, etc, will not fail(may be).

Are you are running compiled or non compiled code.

Nasib Kalsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back