Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"This property is read-only and cannot be set"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerowolf

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
I have 2 tables. Employees which contains only one field, NAME (primary key) and TimeSheets which contains ID (autonumber, primary key), NAME, DATE, JOB#, MACHINE, etc.

I created a form with a subform using the Forms Wizard.

#1) When I open the form everything looks ok until you get down to the bottom of the records in the subform. In the new record, it has the name of the main form in the NAME field. I want the employee's name to show up here.

#2) When I try to enter anything into any field of the new record, I get the error "This property is read-only and cannot be set". After I click ok then it adds a record that I can edit but I have to type in the name to get rid of the Form name that is there. The next record (new blank record) now has the formname in the NAME field again.

HELP!!

Edwin

This is possibly caused by using "NAME" as a field name. Since NAME is also a property of several objects, it is best to avoid using it for fieldnames, control names, etc.
I would use FullName, LastName, FirstName or something like that.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back