Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"This database is in an unexpected state..."???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJman

Technical User
May 8, 2003
IN

I've received the following message from Access and I would like to know what may have caused it if anyone can help. Please keep in mind when you read this that this database was NOT converted from any prior version of Access, however, it is set up to compact automatically on close, but I've never had that cause something like this. Thanks!

"This database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.

This database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using the DAO CompactDatabase method instead of the Convert Database command on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu). This has left the database in a partially converted state.

If you have a copy of the database in its original format, use the Convert Database command on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu to convert it. If the original database is no longer available, create a new database and import your tables and queries to preserve your data. Your other database objects can't be recovered."

This recently happened to a database I have. It was opened by a user who was using 2000. Did they inadvertently do a partial convert?

I had this recently with a 2002 front end, 97 back end system. I just recreated the frontend MDE file and overwrote the faulty copy with the new one.

John

Did anyone find the permanent fix for this problem. We recently upgrade from office97 to office2000. We have couple databases in access2000 and they worked fine for about a two months and now we are facing these problems.

1) Two databases, it's coming up with "This Database is in unexpected state; Microsoft can't open it...." error. We have front end and back end database and the both resides on sever. I was reading the treads and it mention that front end should be on client. In our situation database front end changes more often sometime couple times a day and we have multiple users uses this database(fe). It's very hard to updata everybody's fe database on their machine.

2) One database, it open up the database window instead of opening swithboard form which I have setup in startup window. In this case I have to logoff every user connected to the database and do compact & repair database and then specify the switchboard form in startup window again and disable other options in startup window again. Then works fine for sometimes couple days and sometime only couple hours. Again this database has front end and back end and they both resides on the server.

In all databases front end database has link table from backend database and also link tables from Centura SQLBase database. Some other databases works fine for now.(thank God)

Any help will be appreciated.

Search Microsoft for a utility called JetComp - this may enable you to affect a repair on the database "in an unexpected state" if the standard Access Repair function doesn't do the trick (which it probably won't for this error message).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back